Chessie & Bobcat book clubWe are excited to announce that the Chessie Reading Program and Bobcat Book Club will begin during the week of December 13-17th. We are looking for volunteers to help implement these programs throughout the course of the year!
- All volunteers MUST have a background check designated by SPES.
- Volunteers are needed Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings.
- Unfortunately, younger children are not allowed to come with parents.
- Please arrive before 8:45am and stay to assist with shelving after the students leave at 9:05am.
- Volunteers MUST wear a mask while in the building.
- Volunteers will ask scripted questions to students to track reading comprehension.
Chessie is a reading program for grades K-3. Students have learned about this program during media class and have checked out a Chessie book. Students can read the Chessie book and hold on to it until they talk with a Chessie volunteer. Out of an abundance of caution, we will only permit 2 grade levels to participate in Chessie per day. We will need 7 volunteers per day. Please meet in the Media center according to the following schedule:
- Mondays: Kindergarten and 2nd grade (The kindergarteners will start in January)
- Wednesdays: Kindergarten and 2nd grade
- Thursdays: 1st and 3rd grade
- Fridays: 1st and 3rd grade
bobcat book club
BBC is a reading program for grades 4-5. Students may read a fiction novel, graphic novel, or non-fiction book on their reading level. Students can choose from a variety of ways to express what they read. Please take a look at the options with your child. Students are given the opportunity to talk with a volunteer on Friday mornings in the Art room about the book they read, or they can choose one of the designated options. We will need 1 volunteer for the BBC.
- Fridays: 4th and 5th grade
Please review the available time slots on the Sign-up Genius and click the button to sign up!
New to SPES?
Is your family new to Severna Park Elementary School? Reach out to the Welcome Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about the school and PTA.
Once you're a member of the PTA, you can download the Membership Toolkit App and have a searchable, filterable directory at your fingertips, no matter where you go. You can also subscribe to the PTA calendar and automatically view all PTA events on your own iCalendar.